Sunday 11 December 2011

Why the Gaze in Ancient Greece?

I first decided to start upon this project when trying to decide on a theme for my blogs. Remembering the first time I approached my Lecturer about the Course Ancient Greek Religion, I couldn't help noticing an object around her neck that I had grown up with. The Evil Eye. Often an object found in Turkey and the Middle East I was surprised and intrigued to hear that hers was actually from Greece.

 I decided upon that to investigate the theme of the evil eye and the power of eyes in Ancient Greek Religion. As it turned out even the Ancient Greek were aware of the social importance of eye contact and the meanings it could portray. This investigation then led me to investigate the eyes of Athena which itself receives its own description. Glaukopis. Following on the power of eyes attached to deities and mythological beings naturally led me to Medusa and forced me to think of her relationship with Athena.

Finally in the blogs I found myself coming full circle by looking at Gorgoneions, and they were used to protect against evil, much like and perhaps as a precursor of the evil eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment